Archive

History

1932–1939

1940–1949

1950–1959

1960–1969

1970–1979

1980–1989

1990–1999

2000–2009

2010–2019

Documents

Members

Awards

A-Scope

sidebarContent

Historical Archive 1950–1959

The highlights of this period are the construction of the B-Dome, addition of the Quonset, and the conversion of the Monastery to the Satellite Shed as the MAS became heavily involved in Project Moonwatch.  

MAS Crew in the Monastery MAS Picnic 1953
Taken within the Monastery. Sitting (L to R) : Roy Dodd, Elizibeth Wight, Alfred Memmel. Standing (L to R): Herbert Cornell, Ralph Buckstaff, Roy Lee, Edwin Schoenke, Edward Halbach, Joseph Stevens, William Albrecht.
MAS Picnic 1953
MAS Grounds in 1951 after completion of the Buckstaff Observatory B-Scope shortly after installation - lacking the clock drive.
MAS Grounds in 1951
B-Scope shortly after its installation in the Buckstaff Observatory in 1951.
MAS Grounds in 1955. A-Scope in 1953.
Observatory grounds in 1955 shortly after the addition of the Quonset.
A-Scope, 1953. Top: Ed Halbach, L. Glendenning, H. Cornell, W. Konig, and D. Knaup. Bottom: Wl Albrecht and J. Neff.
Ed Halbach at the chalkboard in the Quonset  
Ed Halbach at the chalkboard in the Quonset. Project Moonwatch, 1958.
 

 

Pictures from 1950-51 of the construction of the Buckstaff Observatory.